GI Joe Ongoing Comic from Skybound

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
GI Joe #1 Launches From Skybound/Image Comics in November 2024 (bleedingcool.com)

While I haven't read the initial Skybound minis yet, I hear they're quite good. I'm anxious to read their take since the IDW-verse Joe titles devolved into a hot mess I could no longer support. I'm still skeptical of the shared universe with TF, as that went very poorly for IDW, but Kirkman knows how to tell a compelling story, and he loves this franchise, so I assume he'll be keeping a watchful eye on things.

Just looking at this pic, I feel like I know where the toy team is going to be drawing a lot of inspiration from when it comes to new Classified characters and decos. Just the three upfront... the blonde Cobra, the Baroness/Chameleon with the star on the chest, and the Indian Fed with a shotgun... I'll bet we get figs of two out of three within a year.

We pretty much know that these comics are the source of the Cobra La revival. I just hope the new characters are fun and organic, not just "diverse" for the sake of virtue signaling (cue Cartman as Dianne Kennedy: "Put a chic in it and make her gay!..... and lame!") SW was ruined by that stuff, but it seems Skybound is off to a good start. Fingers crossed.

1719514505264.png

Reactions: ThunderDan19

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
The IDW material was really strong the first couple of years (COBRA series starring Chuckles was phenomenal, made him into a legit fan-favorite). Then it petered out when they hired some woke writers and really sub-standard artists. They just kept relaunching and couldn't get an ongoing past 6-8 issues. Scarlett got a mini and it was canceled after the first issue. Then they got into the shared universe with all hasbro properties (TF, Rom, Mask, Visionaries, Micronauts...) and it was a colossal clusterfuck. It mercifully died and IDW lost the licenses to Skybound.

For the moment, Skybound seems to be doing well. Haven't read it yet, but the TF series was setting sales records, beating out the best selling titles from Marvel and DC, and the Duke & CoCo miniseries have both been well received. And there are expectations that this new ongoing Joe title will sell better than Transformers. I'm still not thrilled they jumped back into a shared universe with TF, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Even the Hama/Marvel-continuity title seems to be doing better at Skybound, as they have a much improved artist to the crew IDW was using. So fingers crossed that they can keep the quality up for a while.