Marauder KS "bundling"

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Good. So we can buy them and have them in hand before we get the ones we should have already.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We need someone here to give us a review, with answers to whether these live up to all the fellating MJ has gotten and if they're $20 dollar figures.
I can probably answer the second myself. And we all know these will probably be up in that range once they hit the site.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
We need someone here to give us a review, with answers to whether these live up to all the fellating MJ has gotten and if they're $20 dollar figures.
I can probably answer the second myself. And we all know these will probably be up in that range once they hit the site.

Slaymaker has his, at least, so maybe he'd be willing. :)

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
I'm not Slay, but I got my order in the other day. So far, so good with them. The accessories stay in for the most part, outside of the armored shoulder pads; those things would definitely need to be glued, but I'm not really a big fan of them anyway, so no loss there. I also had some issues with a couple of the mounting bracket accessories for the helmets due to some flash on the backside. I'm sure if I sand it down, they'll fit fine.

The modular accessories for the vests are pretty secure for the most part, though with enough fiddling they'll probably pop out unless glued. Haven't had one fall off yet though. swapping legs is a breeze because of the torso balljoint, I really wish this is how the 25th and on Joes were constructed, they're able to retain the same level of articulation but without breaking up the sculpt. Kind of the best of both worlds between an O Ring and the 25th construction. I was also surprised with the shin guards, the plastic on the part that covers the foot is fairly flexible, so there's not a lot of rang of motion lost there. Only thing I've noticed is the elbow joints seem less tight than a Joe, but they hold poses without any issue.

Honestly, the're pretty great figs, and they're at least on par with Hasbro's offerings if not better. Oh, and the heads are interchangeable with Joes, so that's a bonus. I'd post some pics, but I'm at work and all.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
If I ever get mine (meaning if NSA ever gets his bundle order) I'll do up a site-specific review on them, and you know I ain't gonna pull any punches. :)

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Sorry fellas. Yes I have my MTF Figures...been tinkering a bit with them, but will say they are very very cool. Great durability thus far. Awesome customizability as well. Colors match joes very well...50th Crimson guard head looks great on red figure. same with cobra trooper and helmet (I personally do not have pics of either one since I own neither Cobra fig...but TR1ER has posted them on FB)

Can pop and swap at the waist easy cheesy...I boiled and popped but others just pulled them apart. Joe lower arms can swap on easy - MTF lower pegs are too long to go on Joe upper arms. Have a flint in works but no pic...

Here are some pics from my FB page:

I am super happy. I sold most of my loose joes to buy into these and love them.

haven't even messed with the gray, tan or black figures...starting messing with the white a bit. I like the camo on the white but not the ice blue on the gear...likely will repaint that.

The elbows bend enough to pose well with the weapons I have tried so far, but not as far as I have modded other figures...I have yet to take a knife to a MTF figure - but likely will.

The gear all plus in easy and stays - unless you repose the figure...I superglued the red super ninja crimson guards in the pics as I liked that - but nothing else is glued yet.

To me definitely worth the investment...only thing I need to do now is see about the lower legs - can I swap out with Joe lower legs???...then I can have some without the armor...

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011

Trust me, the figures will back up the hype. I was extremely impressed with the figure I played around with. The plastic quality is way better than current Hasbro figures and the construction will make customizing a breeze. You'll still need to crack the torso to switch out upper arms but it looks like separating the halves won't be as difficult. The sheer amount of customizing combinations and options is unreal. Granted, you're stuck with the armored arms and lower legs, but I would be really surprised if MJ didn't offer new body parts for the MTF figures in the future. Plus, as we've already seen, they can be swapped out.

The price for a basic figure won't cost anywhere close to $20 unless you're getting a lot of accessories. You'll be able to build the figure you want (mostly) from the parts available. Choose a body, head, and webgear for less than $15 and then you can add whatever accessories you want for an additional cost. So I figure they'll cost about the same as the current 1:18 marvel figures but with more articulation. I would expect to easily hit the $30 mark if you're buying a figure with all the accessories.

I expect a frenzy once these hit the online store.

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I received my order and I can't speak highly enough of the Marauder figures. The quality is exactly what I have come to expect from Marauder's guns, only in figure form. The paint apps and feel of the plastic are on-par with Hasbro's "golden years" (2007-2011ish), while the sculpting is extremely detailed but fits right in with GI Joes. The intricate paint for the green camo figure and the skull mask head struck me as very impressive. The modular aspect works well, though the removable parts wouldn't remain in place during any sort of play. I believe the included instructions recommend gluing parts, just like the modular guns.

As far as overall compatibility with Joes, I found the heads and head gear to be the easiest things to swap. The Marauder vests are a bit large on Joe bodies, though the harness seems to be more appropriately sized. I haven't tried any Joe vests on the MTF figures, but I'm guessing they would be too small. For limbs I only tried swapping the legs, which won't work without modifications. The ball joint on the MTFs is too large for the Joe upper legs, but since it is a plastic piece (as opposed to metal) one might be able to shave it down.

I do have a few criticisms of the MTF figures, but to me they aren't drawbacks so much as aspects I hope to see improved in the future. The knee joints are really tight on the majority of my figures, and they haven't loosened up with posing. The Joe knee joints have a much smoother movement and are easier to pose. The armored shoulder pads might benefit from some tweaking, as they are the only pieces I consistently had trouble getting to attach. Some shoulder pads fit better than others, but I had a much easier time getting every other modular piece to attach. I also had trouble clipping the flashbangs to the grenade loops, so a slightly larger version might be nice. Finally it would be cool to see the helmet plugs pre-attached to the helmets so my fat fingers wouldn't have to suffer.

Other random thoughts... I had a handful of pieces which still had some excess plastic on them. I found that toenail clippers (which I use for clipping... toys) worked very well for removing it. For the amount of stuff that I got there was a REALLY low number of defective, missing, or incorrect parts. I believe it came out to 4 defective parts (including a broken figure, sadly) and 25 or so incorrect/missing pieces out of over 100 figures and corresponding accessories. I had more issues with fewer figures in the Joe 50th line.

Overall I recommend these figures if you're a fan of 1:18 scale stuff. They are great quality and if the pricing ends up at $20-$25 it will be a solid value. At the very least pick up two or three different colors and explore the full range of parts and swapping potential.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
The reason for the separate helmet plugs is because MJ is planning to offer different helmet plugs later on (NVGs etc.) He's always thinking a few steps beyond.

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
The reason for the separate helmet plugs is because MJ is planning to offer different helmet plugs later on (NVGs etc.) He's always thinking a few steps beyond.

Oh yeah I heard about that, and I don't mind that they're separate pieces. I just wish they were already in as it was annoying to attach them... also those plugs are really easy to lose. FWIW the black helmets I received had the plugs attached, which got me wondering why that wasn't the case for all of the helmets. On the other hand I fully understand not wanting to attach all of tiny things.

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Got mine last night; didn't have a chance to do much more than sort through the bags, though. Looks like everything's there but the Field Ops guys I ordered at the end, and maybe they're hiding somewhere in a bag I didn't see.

For those who ordered with me: give me a few days to get through them and get organized (there were something like six big bags of stuff and I'm working 12 hour days for the next two, so it's going to take me a while), and then we'll deal with shipping addresses and getting these out.

I'll be PMing today to work out details on the fair distribution of stretch goals, as well.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The price for a basic figure won't cost anywhere close to $20 unless you're getting a lot of accessories. You'll be able to build the figure you want (mostly) from the parts available. Choose a body, head, and webgear for less than $15 and then you can add whatever accessories you want for an additional cost. So I figure they'll cost about the same as the current 1:18 Marvel figures, but with more articulation.

Hmm. If I'm lucky I'll be able to just grab a figure. Unlike everyone else none of the modular gear struck me as all that interesting. Aesthetics are too near-future.

Last edited:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Marauder John said on Facebook that he's hoping that the store will go live with them this weekend or early next week; he wants the majority of the KS backers to get theirs before anyone else can buy.

blackrazor1

Enlisted
Dec 25, 2013
Just a reminder to the guys shipping out orders. The tactical vests were redone; because, the lower, front holes were too big. MJ shipped both the old and fixed tactical vests. You may want to test fit a pouch to make sure you're sending out one old and one fixed vest with the appropriate order to save yourself some hassle later.

Last edited:

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Marauder John said on Facebook that he's hoping that the store will go live with them this weekend or early next week; he wants the majority of the KS backers to get theirs before anyone else can buy.

Pfft. Majority. ALL KS backers should receive their orders before things go live. That's just good business etiquette.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
He made his weekly appearance earlier this week...so we should hear from him maybe next Tuesday.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
He did just move so hopefully his address updated correctly like he said it did.

Anyone anywhere hear from MW in the past couple of months?

Greg

Enlisted
Apr 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Still nothing on my end.

They said to wait till the 3rd.. I did update all my info well before shipping.

Anyone who's gotten stuff, how did it arrive? (UPS, USPS, camel?)

I got the highest package level and it shipped via USPS Priority. I'm guessing most large orders were shipped that way to take advantage of flat rate pricing. Hopefully you get your order tomorrow, or Wednesday at the latest.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Figs and accessories are live. Holy shit if MJ can make money at those prices I'm never buying a Hasbro product again.

Wonder if boss fight's Hacks figures will be similar in price? Maybe that $15-$16 range with a few accessories.

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Oh jeez, these had to go live right after I drop a wad of cash on Jurassic Park shit on Ebay. Guess I'm going to have to start a kickstarter so I can army build custom Red Shadows and Hydra soldiers with the toy soldiers funded by a kickstarter.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4&ab_channel=DaftPunkYoshialt[/ame]

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
$12 bucks without a head irked me, but then all the heads look dopey like the '82 Cobras, so I got over it. Might get one somewhere down the line just so I can say I experienced it.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Someone on HT priced out the Vice Admiral level ($695) at $2518.85 before the guns were included. (No idea if he remembered the stands too) Pretty good deal we got if true.

Laughing at the guy on HT who thinks these should cost $3 each.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Yup. He supposedly got a quote from a Chinese factory for 3000 figures with just heads at $3 a pop, so that's what he thinks these should cost, I guess.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
What a fucking idiot. That's some weapons-grade idiocy.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't think I even kept up on all the shizz that's supposed to be included. Should be fun sorting through it all..

In the end though the KS did seem to be a good deal for the figures. For the people who have them in hand, are they good quality?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I think so. There's a few small issues (the web harness doesn't snap closed all that easily, the arm armor doesn't like to stay on, stuff like that) but overall it's as good as or better than just about anything else in the scale that I'm familiar with.