M-114 Up Armored Tacticle Vehicle Turret

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I finally have something to show although not finished , it is close.

The turret is a complete build up . My original ( older style ) turret was way different than the new . The pintel was changed as well.

This will work on ALL HUMVEES that are on the market. Except for maybe the Maisto . The top of the Maisto is made out of metal and the old TOW turret frame is cast into the top. Some serious metal cutting will have to be done in order to make it work. All others should be no problem to fit in their respected turret rings.

In order to finish I need to :

rework rear view mirror connections
make front shield frames
make TOW rocket cover
make rear tool box.

The windows will be tinted.

What do you all think ?

This will be the start of the whole uparmored kit. I have already started the front grill .

I will also make copies of the mirrors and they will go on the main vehicle as well. I have made the mirror attachments so that the mirror will be able to turn and adjust just like the real ones.

After the grill comes the IBIS front bumper and bush guard along with the IED jamming device.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Beautiful work man! I was gonna ask if the mirrors would be adjustable, but you eventually answered that.

Question. What kind of glue do you use to make the hinges? I've been working on a transformer project and have had a hard time finding a glue that will hold through the opening and closing process of a hinge.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks guys .

I use thick gel super glue ( CA ) to glue the tubes in line . Then I use piano wire as the hinge pin.

The trick is to cut the tubes a little loose because if they bind they will snap off.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Pfft...and you guys say that I don't read. :rolleyes:

The square frames pop off and the glass ( tinted plastic) will fit inside of them as it is on the 1 to 1 version.

That way no masking has got to be done.

I almost have the front shield done . The frames for those were one of the hardest things I have had to do in a long time.

Extremly fiddly to do the inside L shape.

Thanks guys for the kudos.

It is appreciated.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
OK I am going to call the turret a wrap.

I would say I have about 50 hours into it to build the prototype.

The mirror mounts are a little loose but once the molds are made the casting process will snug them up and the mirrors will straiten out.

It is a little hard to tell but the glass ( plastic ) is tinted.

Here you go.

Correct pintel

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks guys,

Price is something that I have been kicking around and have not come up with one yet.

The kit will have 35 parts to it. Yep 35.

I learned my lesson on my original turret which I casted in one piece.

Every time I pulled a turret out of the mold the rivets scratched the mold . After a few pours the molds got really bad so I was having to sand , putty , sand some more then paint.

This turret would ruin the mold after the first pour. Also by braking the turret down makes it a little easier to pour and hopefully I will have less goof pours.

My original turret sold for $35 and it was in one piece but this one does have a lot more detail .

So I am thinking around $45 . That is $10 more than my original and I have sold well over a hundred of those all over the globe.

Hopefully there will be the same amount of interest in this new upgrade as there was in the old.

I could possibly throw in a weapon as an insintive.

That has been done before.

BTW in less than a month I will be announcing my next big build.

I am trying to do this on a shoe string budget but I already have a 3-d plotter guy making some key parts. So hopefully it will come out at a faster pace.

It will be modern.

Hey Eddie,

the frames are made with channel styrene so the glass fits into it and the riveted part on the turret allows for a tight fit.

So you can paint the frame and put a couple of drops of CA glue and that holds the glass in.

I just finished the turret today. I am almost 90% finished with the armored grill and have just started the big IBIS bumper.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Will this fit on the True Heros or Humvees from Biglots ? I have a couple of those that could use upgrades.

This turret will fit on any HUMVEE on the market .

Except maybe the Maisto HUMVEE . It will fit on that one as well but you have to do some serious metal cutting.

The turret hole is shaped like the hatch cover kind of an exadurated kidney bean.

When the turret is to be casted I will apply centering tabs on the turret ring. Little 1/8th inch styrene pips that will center and snug up the ring for the larger vehicles.

As it is now the 21st and BBI turret rings are about the same size. the other rings are looser.

Cut the tabs off to fit your HUMVEE !!

One size fits all !!!!

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
That's a very detailed kit. You did a fantastic job on it, Pickel. Let's see, new turret, uparmored kit, and another big build? Yeah, your retirement is turning into a good thing for the 1:18 world.

So much better than mine...wow....

You're not alone, :crying: . Don't think you'll never be capable of something like this, everyone has to start somewhere. Pickel has a few decades of experience on everybody so put in the time (50 hours!!!!) and you'll get excellent results too.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
That's a very detailed kit. You did a fantastic job on it, Pickel. Let's see, new turret, uparmored kit, and another big build? Yeah, your retirement is turning into a good thing for the 1:18 world.

You're not alone, :crying: . Don't think you'll never be capable of something like this, everyone has to start somewhere. Pickel has a few decades of experience on everybody so put in the time (50 hours!!!!) and you'll get excellent results too.

Thanks Daremo and thank you all for the kind remarks .

I tried to make this the most detailed HUMVEE turret on the market.

Details equate to time on the work bench and money invested on models to scale off of.

IF there is interest in purchasing this turret please PM me ASAP.

That will determine how fast this will go into production.

I will continue working on the other upgrade parts.

As always I accept lay-aways.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I'm interested Pickel, but I'd rather wait until I can purchase the whole upgrade in one fell swoop.

That is fine but I have options as far as casting goes and wantd to see the interest in order to go in what direction.

Anyway how many times have you all gone to bed wondering why did 21st make their front grill like that ?

Will somebody ever make this right ?

Well sleep well my fellow 1/18th collectors the wrong has been righted !!!!!!

This armored grill will fit on ALL HUMVEES on the market.

21st HUMVEE

BBI

Not sure what kind of HUMVEE this is I should have looked PTE ?

IBIS bumper on 21st HUMVEE

You can use the IBIS bumper without the armored grill .

There are many many pics of it being used without the new grill.

The grill and bumper need a lot more work to finish I just wanted to show progress.

The head lamp lenses will be cast in clear resin so they will look the part !!

It is hard to tell in the pics but the top flat part of the bumper ( the part that you would stand on ) has the non skid plate pattern on it.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Those look great already! Put me down for a set!!! I hope more people get interested in these so we can get more kits in the future.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks again guys for the kudos and interest . It really meens a lot.

Can I see a show of hands of those who want the IED jamming device .

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I don't even have a BBI Humvee, just the PTE ones...is there much difference between the two?

Because I'd like to get a full armored kit to deck one out. And yes, i'd be down for an IDE detector.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There are differences, but this kit should fit all of the plastic 1:18 HMMWVs.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
The BBI HUMVEE that I have is the desert painted one with a white ARMY painted on the hood / bonnet .

There is a large gap about 1/2inch between the grill and mounting plate/bumper below it .

Of all the HUMs out there this is the only one configured in this way.

It looks totally goofy and there may have to be a modified mounting plate in order for the IBIS bumper to fit right.

Or the modeler can cut the plate off and move it up were it should be .

Or yet another idea .

You can just attach it as is , 1/2 dropped below the grill.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I was a little hesitant about making the Rhino IED device but I am glad I did.

It really looks cool on the front of the IBIS bumper.

It will also deploy !!

I need to put a few details on it but here it is roughed in.

I also need to thin out the frame channels. They look a bit thick.

Slickbomb

Enlisted
Apr 21, 2014
Hey Picklehaub,
Awesome set as usual.

That "thing" on the bumper is not a jamming device.
It was nicknamed the "rhino". It is a counter-IED tool but specific to a certain threat but did not jam. The jammer antennae most have seen are the really fat antennas...but there are also diff jammers that use diff antennae.

Awesome work again.
Mark