Super 7 GI Joe

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Whoa I didnt realize they were doing o-ring joes.. I'd seen some of their other offerings and they looked like trash (AND super expensive).

These actually look neat. Are they doing a whole line?

I have some friends who still manage to go to SDCC.. wondering if I can get them to pick some up...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I think the general consensus is that the actual Super7s (7" w/ articulation) are pricey but pretty cool, particularly for the cartoon fans. The Reanimation (4" with nearly zero articulation) are overpriced and generally not pose/play-worthy. Jury is out on the O-rings, since they haven't hit the market yet.

Did this one turn out to be a real thing?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Whoa I didnt realize they were doing o-ring joes.. I'd seen some of their other offerings and they looked like trash (AND super expensive).

These actually look neat. Are they doing a whole line?

I have some friends who still manage to go to SDCC.. wondering if I can get them to pick some up...
Sorry for the confusion. The two SDCC figs are the 7" Ultimates, while the new line of o-rings (known as "ReAction+") are supposed to come out later this year (unknown exactly when).

The good/bad news is that the o-rings are supposed to MSRP for $20. On one hand, hasbro tried selling $20 reissued ARAH o-rings and failed, but S7 has been successfully selling $20 5PoA shit-figures, so getting more complex o-rings at the same price seems like a win. It's all about perspective I suppose. And these might get more interest since they are new sculpts and seem to be sunbow (and maybe comic) focused like their crappy 5 PoA ReAction brethren.

We talk about them mixed together because there is just one Super7 Joe thread. I seem to be the only person around here getting the 7" ultimates, but maybe when the 3.75" o-rings get off the ground and start generating some buzz, they can get their own thread...

Did this one turn out to be a real thing?

Not sure. It looks legit, but we haven't heard when/where it might come out. Probably a con exclusive later in the year?

Reactions: ThunderDan19

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Ahh okay that makes sense. So the 7" ultimates are giant o-ring? Or do they have more articulation like a 12" doll?

I thought Super7 was the brand not the size.

I'm out of the loop lol I miss my RoC and PoC toys :(

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Ahh okay that makes sense. So the 7" ultimates are giant o-ring? Or do they have more articulation like a 12" doll?

I thought Super7 was the brand not the size.

I'm out of the loop lol I miss my RoC and PoC toys :(
7" Ultimates are not o-ring. They have basic ARAH articulation plus ball-necks, an ab joint, and foot swivel, but that's it. No double jointed knees and elbows, no butterfly joints, no thigh or boot swivels, no drop-down hips. I'd call their articulation ARAH+, but certainly not Classified or Legends class.

Super7 is the company name. They make Joes in 3.75" 5PoA (ReAction), 3.75" o-ring (ReAction+), and 7" (Ultimates).
But Super7 makes stuff for a zillion different franchises. They're collector focused, higher priced, SLOW AS HELL (rarely ever more than two waves a year for any franchise), and character selection/decos are all over the place... really just on the whims of the designers. Just look at the first few waves of their Simpsons ultimates... crazy choices. It's a shame they got in a fight with Disney and lost all those licenses.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
SDCC Cobra Mortal and Jungle Trap Zartan are up on the S7 website, although I think I'm the only one that cares :LOL:

G.I. Joe ULTIMATES! - Cobra Mortal – Super7
G.I. Joe ULTIMATES! - Zartan (Jungle Trap) – Super7

And Amazon has a great deal on a ReAction set for City of the Dead (70% off). Normally I hate stupid 5 PoA ReAction figures, but in the case of these episode specific packs, I'm ok with them. They're predominantly static set pieces, so their articulation is nearly irrelevant. And they'll look cool in a scene with the proper ReAction+ figs if/when they ever come out.

Amazon.com: Super7 G.I. Joe City of The Dead Ancient Warrior Pack with Ancient Clay Guardians and Skeleton Soldiers - (6-Pack) 3.75" GI Joe Action Figures with Accessories Collectibles and Retro Toys

Reactions: Videoviper

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Jungle Trap Zartan sold out first o_O

Maybe people don't know who Cobra Mortal is? As crazy-rare and valuable as the original figure is, I figured he'd be the one to generate more buzz... and Zartan is the exact same figure that got released a few months ago with one new head and some episode specific accessories. To be fair, he's probably my favorite figure in the line, so sunbow-rific, but I did not expect him to be the hot ticket.

Shows what I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Just shows that people can still surprise us. I wonder if, due to the revival of popularity of all things Joe right now, general collectors and resellers are joining in. Or maybe more dudes are catching the nostalgia bug, particularly when it comes to the cartoon lines. I doubt nearly as many even remember Mortal (I sure don't), as opposed to all the old favorites from the 'toon.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mortal had zero presence in any media until the WWIII storyline that wrapped up the DDP comic run (epic story, BTW). But he's mostly famous for being a super weird and rare international figure to hardcore ARAH collectors. But I figured his "rareness" had made its way into the collecting populace hive-mind, thus making this homage figure a must-have. And maybe it is, but the Zartan reissue sold out first.

It could be that they weren't made in the same quantities. I'd have hedged my bets on Zartan production since the 1st release is still available at most places for retail. Or it could be that SDCC attendees who purchase on a whim are more likely to spend their dollars on a known character like Zartan over a guy they've never heard of. Not sure about the crossover between hardcore Joe collectors and people on the SDCC attendance list.

Either way, I ordered both like a sucker, and I'm not sorry. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDan19